How difficult is Upper Dolpo trek?
Upper Dolpo Trek is a demanding and long camping trek in Nepal. This trek is the right choice for those adventurers who are extremely fit and looking for Off The Beaten Path and remoteness adventure in Nepal. To do this trek no need any previous adventure experience but you need to be fit for walking 6 to 8 hours in a day in the mountain. And, there is no limit on our adventures, as long adventurers have healthy and willing. We strongly suggest you have some days extra in your schedule for this trek.
Physical Fitness and Experience Requirements for Upper Dolpo Trek
Upper Dolpo Trek is considered a demanding trek. In such trek, you are likely to walk for 6 to 8 hours, crossing steeps, hilly terrains and occasional high passes of up to 5500 meters. You are likely to be in a remote environment with extreme weather on some days. You will also be facing high-altitude air with low levels of oxygen. Therefore, physical fitness and a positive attitude are essential. Exercising, hiking and jogging regularly or join a gym (especially cardio section) at least 3 months prior to the trek is a great idea to enhance your strength and stability. For this trek, no need for any technical skill. It is vital for trekkers with pre-existing medical conditions such as heart, lung, and blood diseases to consult their doctor before taking the trip. It is also advised that you inform Alpine Eco Trek about your medical condition before booking the Upper Dolpo Trek.
Acclimatization during Upper Dolpo Trek
We have designed Upper Dolpo Trek’s itinerary with a high priority of awareness of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness). Two extra days are set aside for acclimatization. Going up at higher altitudes too fast causes a medical condition serious enough to result in death. The higher the altitude, the less oxygen will be in the air. For example, at an altitude above 4000 meters, there is 40% less oxygen than at sea level. Therefore, our body needs several days to adapt to an environment with less oxygen.
Alpine Eco Trek suggests clients with known heart, lungs or blood diseases to consult their doctor before traveling. Mild headaches, fever, loss of appetite or stomach disorders are major symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness. Our itinerary is planned to try to prevent AMS as much as possible and our guides and crew members are well trained to administer them and to know the symptoms.
What is the Normal Group Size for Upper Dolpo Trek?
There should be two trekkers to issue the restricted area permit for Upper Dolpo so that minimum group size is two, and for this trek, there will be one licensed trekking leader, two assistant guides, one trekking cook, one assistant cook and some Sherpa helpers for luggage carrying (1 porter for two trekkers). This arrangement ensures that even if someone in the group gets sick or is unable to carry on, the trip can still go ahead as planned for the rest of the group. We can run the trek for groups of any size, but generally, a maximum of 10 people is ideal as we have found this to be the optimum size for an unforgettable and successful trip.
What is the best season for Upper Dolpo Trek?
Upper Dolpo is a high adventure trek and the best seasons are autumn (September and October) and spring (March, April, and May). Since the Dolpo region located in the rain shadow area formed by Mount Dhaulagiri and Annapurna ranges, you can also enjoy trek during the Monsoon season (June, July, and August).
What type of accommodation do I get during Upper Dolpo Trek?
We offer an all-inclusive package for Upper Dolpo Trek. We choose the best standard accommodations for 3 nights in Kathmandu and 1 night in Pokhara in a 3-star hotel and 1 night in Nepalgunj, 1 night in Juphal and 1 night in Jomsom in the best available hotel/guesthouse. Accommodation during the trek, from Day 5 to Day 26 will be in a comfortable two-men camping tent. To sleep in a tent, 4 seasons of a high-quality sleeping bag and foam mattress will be provided. We maintain standard comfort in every matter based on enforceable conditions such as weather calamities. All hotel/guesthouse and camping accommodation will be on twin sharing basis, and we will provide you single supplement if there is different sex without. If you prefer a single room, you may indicate your preference and get single room/tent on request by paying single supplement USD 300.
What type of meals can I expect during Upper Dolpo Trek?
Hotel in Kathmandu and Pokhara will be based on Bed and Breakfast basis and from Nepalgunj to Jomsom (Day 3 to Day 27) all meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) are included. You can enjoy freshly-cooked, hygienic and nutritious meals on a full-board basis prepared by our trained and experienced trekking cook during the camping period. Authentic Nepalese, Tibetan dishes as well as the more common international cuisine (Tibetan, Continental, Italian, Indian, etc.) will be served by our crew. We will offer farewell dinner in Kathmandu at the end. It is the time to celebrate the success of a great journey with us and our crew.
Guides and Crew Members for Upper Dolpo Trek
The most important thing that makes Upper Dolpo Trek enjoyable and memorable is the skilled, experienced, knowledgeable and helpful guides and crew members. This trek will be led by only the best and most professional guides. All of Alpine Eco Trek's guides and crew members are carefully selected on the basis of their appropriate experience, leadership skills, knowledge about the region and personal aptitude. With the objective of sustaining local communities, Alpine Eco Trek only employs local staffs who have adequate knowledge about culture, ecosystem, flora, fauna, geography, and history of the Upper Dolpo region. Our guides and crew members have undergone the following training:
- Intensive Wilderness First Aid
- Trekking Guide Training
- Eco Trekking Workshop and Adventure Meet
- English Language
- Climbing and Mountaineering
- Conservation and Biodiversity
Communication during Upper Dolpo Trek
Upper Dolpo Trek is an extremely demanding trip that leads you to the remote and isolated region, cell phone doesn’t work in this region so that we will bring a satellite phone for logistical, safety and personal use. Personal calls charged at USD 5 per minute and USD 3 to send and receive SMS text.
Do I require travel insurance for Upper Dolpo Trek?
A relaxed trip is not possible without good travel insurance. In the event of any sickness or injury, the cost of emergency treatment and evacuation is shocking. Therefore, travel insurance is strongly recommended for everyone who signs up for Upper Dolpo Trek with us so that we strongly recommend you take travel insurance before joining the trip which should cover medical expenses, emergency repatriation and helicopter evacuation at high altitude places and loss of your luggage. Please kindly provide us a copy of your insurance policy (e.g. your insurance certificate) or carry it with you while you come on the trip.
What type of Equipment do I need to pack for Upper Dolpo Trek?
Trek to Upper Dolpo is a stunningly amazing and adventure trip. We trek up to 5500m walking through villages, green hills, high passes, and white snow paths so that you need to have the right equipment with you. The weight limit for your luggage is 20 kg max. Remember that your main luggage will be carried by our porter but you are required to carry a day-pack (with your valuables or anything important) on your own. We also suggest that you pack only what is necessary.
Equipment for head
- Bandana or headscarf, also useful for dusty conditions
- Warm hat that covers your ears (wool or synthetic)
- Headlamp with extra batteries and bulbs
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Prescription sunglasses (if required)
Equipment for Upper Body
- Polypropylene shirts (1 half sleeve and 2 long sleeves)
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops
- Fleece wind-stopper jacket or pullover
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket
- Down vest and/or jacket
- Gore-Tex jacket with hood, waterproof and breathable
Equipment for Hands
- 1 pair of lightweight poly liner gloves.
- 1 pair of lightweight wool or fleece gloves
- 1 pair of mittens, consists of 1 Gore-Tex over mitt matched with a very warm polar-fleece mitt liner (seasonal)
Equipment for Lower Body
- Non-cotton underwear briefs
- 1 pair of Hiking shorts
- 1 pair of Hiking trousers
- 1 pair of lightweight thermal bottoms (seasonal)
- 1 pair of fleece or woolen trousers
- 1 pair of waterproof shell pants, breathable fabric
Equipment for Feet
- 2 pairs of thin, lightweight inner socks
- 2 pairs of heavy poly or wool socks
- 1 pair of Hiking boots with spare laces (sturdy soles, water-resistant, ankle support, broken in)
- 1 pair of trainers or running shoes and/or sandals
- Cotton socks (optional)
- Gaiters (winter only), optional, low ankle-high version
Equipment for Sleeping
- 1 sleeping bag (good to -30 degrees C )
- Fleece sleeping bag liner (optional)
Rucksack and Travel Bags
- 1 medium rucksack (50-70 liters/3000-4500 cubic inches, can be used for an airplane carryon)
- 1 large duffel bag
- A small daypack/backpack for carrying your valuables should have good shoulder padding
- Small padlocks for duffel-kit bags
- 2 large waterproof rucksack covers (optional)
- Small, personal first-aid kit. (simple and light)
- Aspirin, first-aid tape, and plasters (Band-Aids)
- 1 skin-blister repair kit
- Anti-diarrhea pills
- Anti-headache pills
- Cough and/or cold medicine
- Anti-altitude sickness pills: Diamox or Acetylzolamide
- Stomach antibiotic: Ciprofloxacin, etc. Do not bring sleeping pills as they are respiratory depressants.
- Water purification tablets or the water filter
- 1 set of earplugs
- Extra pair of prescription glasses, contact lens supplies
- 1 small roll of repair tape, 1 sewing-repair kit
- 1 cigarette lighter, 1 small box of matches
- 1 compass or GPS (optional)
- 1 alarm clock/watch
- 1 digital camera with extra cards and batteries
- Large Ziplocs
- 2 water bottles (1 liter each)
- 1 small folding knife
- Binoculars (optional)
- 4 large, waterproof, disposable rubbish sacks
- 1 medium-sized quick-drying towel
- Toothbrush/paste (preferably biodegradable)
- Multipurpose soap (preferably biodegradable)
- Nail clippers
- Face and body moisturizer
- Female hygiene products
- Small mirror
- Personal Hygiene
- Wet wipes (baby wipes)
- Tissue /toilet roll
- Anti-bacterial handwash
Journal and pen
- Travel game i.e. chess, backgammon, scrabble, playing cards (to help you pass the time at teahouses and/or camps)
- 1 modest swimsuit
- Binoculars (optional)
- Voltage converter (from 220 to 110)
- Plug adapter (2 round pegs to 2 flat pegs).
Reasons to choose Alpine Eco Trek for Upper Dolpo Trek
- We are Alpine trekking specialists and we have been organizing treks in Nepal for many years. Ram Kumar, owner and founder of Alpine Eco Trek, has modified this itinerary based on his first-hand experience of the Dolpo region.
- Read our reviews on Trip Advisor received for Upper Dolpo trekking where our overall holiday rating is 100%.
- Alpine Eco Trek has organized a successful Upper Dolpo to Jomsom trek in October 2016, 2018 and 2019. Due to the remoteness and logistical challenges it is important to have a crew who have previously trekked in Upper Dolpo.
- In our itinerary, we have included two rest and acclimatization days. These extra days will help you acclimatize to the high altitudes and also increases chances of completing the traverse in case of any delays flying into Juphal.
- We use high-quality tents for Upper Dolpo camping trek. These are two-man domed tents with plenty of space for two people sharing plus gear.
- We bring a satellite phone on Upper Dolpo Trek. It is essential for your guide to have reliable communications with the Agency for logistics, planning and group safety.
- Our guides for Upper Dolpo trek will bring a comprehensive first aid kit plus high altitude medicine, antibiotics and other medicines.
- There will be a wide range of meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We bring along a supply of chocolate, muesli bars, Pringles, biscuits, and nuts.
- We have trouble-free payment options.
Our website contains as much information as possible about Upper Dolpo Trek. However, if you have any questions regarding the trip, please feel free to contact us. We answer all inquiries within 24 hours. If you want to book or enquire about this trip, you can send us an inquiry or contact our team leader directly by phone: +977 98510 36844 (Ram Kumar Adhikari).