The sacred Mt Kailash is a black rocked peak in the Kailash Range, which forms part of the Trans-Himalaya in Tibet autonomous region. It sits near the source of some of the longest rivers in Asia: the Indus River, the Sutlej River, the Brahmaputra River, and the Karnali River. Mount Kailash is considered a sacred place in four religions: Bön, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism. The sacred mountain lies near Lake Manasarovar and Lake Rakshastal in western Tibet.
Estimate for additional activities in Kailash tour
- Horse for a personal ride on Kora days is approx USD 400 to 450 per person
- Extra ride for a day trip to Astapad USD 80 per person
- Extra day in Kathmandu USD 60 per person with 2 meals and standard accommodations.
- Muktinath trip USD 950 per person including two nights in Pokhara, one night Jomsom round trip flight with a meal, transport.
Packing list of Kailash trekking Tour
- Small bag pack for 3 days trekking, Parikarma, Kora around Mount Kailash
- Sufficient warm clothing including a warm down jacket for Kailash tour.
- essential medicines (for minor injuries /life-saving kits)
- Any regular medicines that you have been prescribed
- Toiletries kit (shop, Shampoo, Toothpaste, toothbrush)
- Water bottle /Thermos flask for hot water (2litters bottle)
- Hiking shoes good for walking 3 days Kailash Kora/trekking
- Woolen gloves, Woolen socks (minimum 4 pairs), hand clove
- Wool, Thermo cot undergarments, wind, and waterproof jacket
- T-Shirt, long shirt and pants which is easier to be while doing trekking
- Sunglasses, Sun lotion/cold cream, Torchlight, raincoat
- Umbrella, walking stick, Sandal for use evening & morning
- Sweets, Zinger/garlic candies or dry fruits, lozenges, etc…
Cancellation Policy of Alpine Eco Trek for Kailash Tour
- Cancellation made up to 45 days before the trip departure will incur a 15% fee of the total trip cost
- Cancellation made up to 30 days before the trip departure will incur a 30% fee of the total trip cost
- Cancellation made up to 7 days before the trip departure will incur a 50% fee of the total trip cost
- Cancellation made less than1week before departure or upon arrival in KTM will be charged full price.
Essential information for Mount Kailash and Lake Mansarovar Tour
We suggest you apply for Medical Insurance, covering emergency evacuation and all medical expenses are must for Kailash and Mansarovar tour. So, please be ensured before starting the holy journey to the Heavenly Abode of Lord Shiva.
Normally, at higher altitude areas in Tibet including Kailash and Manasarover Lake, the amount of oxygen is less. Certain illness such as loss of appetite, mild headache, nausea, tiredness, breathlessness, general uneasiness, high irritability, light loss of balance, disorientation, incoherence, and insomnia, etc may be induced in the windy weather and high altitude area which generally is not encountered over the plains.
This kind of symptom can be seen in anyone irrespective of their age, sex, and physical fitness. Tranquilizers, sleeping dose and strong anti-biotic must be avoided during Kailash tour and gradual acclimatization is the most and best solution for these symptoms while some of them may also be indicating the readjusting of our body to new environments.
- Rest, Breathe easy, climb down, do not apply, be excited
- Speak less, Observe silence with smiling every time if possible
- Walk at your own speed– adopt one-third of your speed and space.
- Take 10 minutes to rest after every 30 minutes walk, keep your load light
- Stop immediately whenever you feel uncomfortable and relax for a while.
- Do not engage yourself in outbursts of fellow pilgrims, avoid arguments.
- Too high and too fast are both harmful. So follow guide’s advice
- Never proceed with an empty stomach and consume plenty of liquids and quality snacks
- Enjoy your favorite music, Bhajans, chanting, etc in the earphone and you can chant a prayer or visualize everything around to suit your pleasant thoughts.
- It is better to be over clothed than under protected to avoid catching a cold.
- Bathing or drinking water from Lake Streams or rivers en-route should be avoided as your system is not habituated for this.
- Avoid dust and direct sunshine during the long stretches of driving. Face, feet, and hands must be well protected.
- The jagged ground, steep slope, and slushy banks are full of potholes. Be careful while walking and sightseeing together.
- Always be in a group and follow your guide or the one with experience.
- Overexertion is to be avoided. Heavy warm clothing is most during winter.
This is not an adventure climbing, expedition or strenuous trek, it is a normal tour; therefore no specific level of fitness is required. Anybody can join this tour if they think themselves fit and have strong willpower. People suffering from cardiac or respiratory problems should consult their doctor before joining the trip. Start morning and evening walks, jogging, stretching, meditation and regular exercise make the journey comfortable for all.
1. We suggest you examine yourself from your doctor for this Journey.
2. Start excursing your body by walking, jogging, doing yoga and other breathing exercises to accomplish the tour successfully as you will have to travel in high altitude areas of Mount Kailash.
EMERGENCY RESCUE IN KAILASH
No helicopter rescue in Tibet, only land transportation is there for the emergency rescue in even Kailash as no helicopter is allowed in any part of Kailash and Tibet even in case of an emergency rescue.
ACCOMMODATION (KATHMANDU-KAILASH TIBET)
During your stay in Kathmandu, we will provide you any kind of accommodation as per your needs. You can have a single, or double or family room in Kathmandu. We select the best categories of 3, 4 and 5-star hotels in Kathmandu. But accommodation in the Kailash region is will be very basic. You must adjust to simple guesthouses and mud houses. Group sharing rooms are available at every place. Four people in minimum should stay in one room with separate beds and warm blankets. In most of the places, there is no attached bathroom. We can find a few nice accommodations in Nyalam, Dongba, Darchen on the way in Kailash, which we can provide as per your request, with extra cost.
We will provide transportation for Kailash tour depending on group size like if there are below 10 we provide a Van if 10 to 16 we provide two Vans if above 16 up to 25 people we prove a deluxe bus.
FOOD DURING KAILASH TOUR
Food during your stay in Kathmandu is provided in package at the same hotel where you stay. Food in the Kailash tour package is all vegetarian. Alpine Eco Trek’s staff will serve you a hot meal at everyday breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the way in Kailash tour. You will get packed lunch while at Kailash Circuit (trekking-Kora). You can also bring some of your favorite dry foods along the tour.
LOCAL CREW FOR KAILASH TOUR
Since our establishment, Alpine Eco Trek and Expedition (P) Ltd is a pioneer operator of Kailash and Manasarovar tours. We have dozens of regular and trained staff engaged for regular service. Extremely professional and experienced tour leader, cook, helpers and other first aid treatment trained guides will be there in your group to serve you and make your trip a memorable one.
Extra personal expenses may include Horse, personal helper (porter) for 3 days Kailash trekking-Parikarma-Kora, personal expenses, Shopping, Telephone, Extra activities, and Emergency rescue, Tibet group visa splitting from groups.
EXTRA INFORMATION FOR KAILASH TOUR
- A. You cannot bring any books, magazines, pictures about Tibet, Buddhism or about any Lama’s. The custom of China won’t allow entering with those kinds of books. They will destroy or store themselves.
- B. Please do not bring any fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, liquids like Ghee, Oils because this stuff is not allow entering from Chinese customs at Kodari, Lhasa Airport and Hilsa (Simikot).
- C. Taking pictures, videos in Chinese customs, Army and police station is extremely prohibited.
- D. Follow the instruction of your guide while facing the inquiries and checking in every customs and check post. (Alpine Eco Trek’s guide will give you instruction from the first day)
- E. Please be gentle and polite and co-operative with every Nepali and Tibetan staff.
- A Small and light day bag, Water bottle - hot water thermos flask (1,2,3 liter).
CLOTHING(20 Celsius to min. -16 degrees Celsius), one should prepare accordingly. As the temperature varies greatly between day and night (from max. + 20 degrees)
Bring the following items with you
Woolen gloves, Balaclava, Sun hat, Thermal wear, Water bottle, Woolen socks, Towel, Light Jacket, Sunglasses, Sun cream, Torch with extra batteries/bulbs, Muffler, Mask, Raincoat, Sweater, Shirt/T-shirt and hiking shoes.
Comfortable sports shoes-trainers (Good one Nike, Adidas, etc...), carry an extra pair too and a pair of light Sleepers. Sandal for use evening-morning at the hotel, guesthouse.
- A. Toiletries kit (Soap, Shampoo, Toothbrush, Toilet rolls, Towels for the tour, etc).
- B. Sunscreen lotion-cream-cold cream, facial tissues, wet one (if needed yourself)
Torchlight, lighter, batteries, Plastic Mugs-Knife (If necessary yourself), Face masks-Dusk masks
PERSONAL ITEMS FOR COMFORTABLE AND ENJOYABLE TRIP
- I. Your regular medicines if you are taking according to your Doctor
- II. Dark Sunglasses, good for while crossing Drolma la pass
- II. Your favorite dry foods including Nuts, biscuits Kapoor, Vicks, Inhaler, etc
- IV. Camera, Binoculars, Extra batteries
FIRST AID KIT AND OTHER MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS
- 1. Full first aid kit (typical backpacking kit for minor injuries, AET guides will also carry).
- 2. Diamox Aspirin/pain killer medicine, Lip balm, Vaseline, Mustard oil, Plasters
- 3. Salt, Vicks for sore throats, chewing gums, Mints
TRIP/JOURNEY BOOKING CONDITION
- Minimum 45 days advance booking is required to arrange Kailash permit and visa approval and issue Travel permit. We suggest you to deposit to pay USD 400 to 500 per person for foreign passport holders of the tour booking payment in advance by bank transfer.
Manasarovar Lake Information
Covering more than 400 square kilometers of waters, Lake Manasarovar is the world's highest freshwater lake which is revered a sacred place in four religions: Bon, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism with an altitude of 4,587 meters above sea level and the water depth of 77 meters. It is the holiest lake in Asia and an important pilgrimage destination for Hindus and Buddhists alike. Pilgrims come to take ceremonial baths in the cleansing waters of the lake. To the west of it is Lake Rakshastal; to the north is Mount Kailash. The word Manasarovar originates from the Sanskrit language, which is a combination of the words Manas Sarovara, manas meaning mind and Sarovar meaning lake. In the Buddhist scriptures, only a lake is called the mother of the World Rivers, and that refers to Lake Manasarovar. It means is an invincible lake in the Tibetan words.
According to legend, Lake Manasarovar is the lake in which a great Tibetan monk saw the letters Aha, Kha, Mha. These three initials helped the search team to locate the current 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet. The three initials stand for the province, the district, and the monastery in which the current Dalai Lama was born, i.e. Ahamdho, Khunbum, and Taktser respectively.
History of Lake Manasarovar
There were eight Buddhist monasteries around the lake, symbolizing the Wheel of Life. Pilgrims used to circumambulate the lake, visiting each of the monasteries along the way, representing a turn of the wheel. Most of the monasteries have now disappeared (the most notable survivor being Chiu Gompa), but Buddhists still make the pilgrimage around the sacred lake.
Myth and Mystery
According to Hindu tradition, Manasarovar was created by Brahma, the god of creation, to provide an appropriate place for religious rituals. It is said that he had 12 sons, who were holy men and performed rituals and austerities on the dry land at the site. To give them a more suitable place to earn merit, Brahma created the beautiful Lake Mansarovar.
The lake's Indian name derives from this legend: Brahma had a mind (manas) to create a lake (sarowar). For Hindus, a circumambulation of Mount Kailash and a dip in the cold waters of Lake Mansarovar removes the sins of all lifetimes, bringing salvation from reincarnation. Buddhists associate Manasarovar with Anotatta Lake, where the Buddha was mystically conceived. According to Buddhist legend, the Buddha’s mother was transported here by the gods, where she bathed in the sacred waters of Manasarovar until her body was purified. She then saw a white elephant running to her from Mount Kailash, as the Buddha entered her womb.
Located at the southern base of Mount Kailash, Lake Manasarovar is famed for its exceptional beauty. Its color changes from a clear blue around the shores to deep emerald green in the center; it looks positively magical in the moonlight. The lake is 55 miles (88 km) in circumference, 330 feet (90m) deep, and 120 sq mi (320 sq km) in total area.